· If your smoker will get up to 250 degrees to 275 degrees, all the better. The chicken skin will be more tasty, and it will take less time to smoke. Cook for from 1-1/2 hours to 3 hours, depending on your smoker temp. A leg quarter should easily separate into separate thigh and leg pieces easily when done.
270-285°F is an ideal temperature for smoking your chicken. It achieves a tenderly cooked chicken that is neither overcooked nor dry. The second temperature to be mindful of is the internal temperature of the leg quarters.
· First, place the chicken legs over direct heat and cook for about 2 minutes per side, just to sear the meat slightly. Then move the legs to the indirect heat portion of the grill. Close the grill cover and let the meat cook, undisturbed, for about 20 minutes. If your grill has a thermometer, try to maintain a temperature of about 325-350F.
· Smoked Chicken Leg Quarters Smoking Times. Quick Summary: The target internal temperature for chicken leg quarters is at around 165°F and smoking them at 225-250°F for 2-3 hours, depending on the cut. For a more detailed process and how to get a crisp skin on the outside, you can read the process below.
Place the chicken legs on the direct heat side of the grill. Cook them, turning about every 5 minutes for about 30 minutes until the internal temp reaches 160 degrees. Move the chicken legs to the indirect heat side of the grill and slather on the BBQ sauce. Turn and baste the chicken until the sauce gets thick, sticky, and caramelized.
· How long do you smoke chicken quarters at 275? If your smoker will get up to 250 degrees to 275 degrees, all the better. The chicken skin will be more tasty, and it will take less time to smoke. Cook for from 1-1/2 hours to 3 hours, depending on your smoker temp. A leg quarter should easily separate into separate thigh and leg pieces easily …
· After you take the leg-quarters out of the marinade, pat it dry. One way to enhance the flavor is to put some of the seasoning under the skin as well as some butter (my favorite) or oil as well. I try to make sure that the quarters are large. While this may take longer, the flavor is extraordinary. By cooking just a few minutes longer you get a …
Rinse and dry the leg quarters and season the outside and inside of the skin with All Purpose Rub. Set up your grill for indirect heat with hickory smoke wood. Smoke for two hours until an internal temperature of 185F is reached. Allow quarters to slightly cool and pull/shred meat away from the bones and skin.
· Preheat the oven to 400 °F (205 °C). Place an oven-safe cooling rack on a baking tray big enough to fit all the chicken. Stir together the spices in a little bowl. Place the chicken on the cooling rack (in the pan) and drizzle the olive oil over the top. Rub half the spice mix between the skin and the meat.
· Cook the side of the chicken facing on the pan for 15-20 minutes. When you see the chicken looks golden brown, be sure to turn over the chicken quarters on the other side. Cook for another 20-25 minutes. After that, the chicken quarters should be ready. So, serve, slice, and enjoy the meal.